Academy of Our Lady opened in August 2007, two years after Hurricane Katrina disrupted education and lives throughout New Orleans. Drawing on the strengths and traditions of its two predecessors, Archbishop Blenk High School and Immaculata High School, the Academy is a place where the best of both worlds meet.
Immaculata High School was founded in 1956 as part of Immaculate Conception Parish. It was served by the School Sisters of Notre Dame until 1979, when the Salesian Sisters assumed administration of the school.
Archbishop Blenk opened in 1962, honoring Archbishop James Hubert Blenk, a Bavarian-born Marist priest who served as Archbishop of New Orleans from 1906-1917. The school, originally staffed by Marianite Sisters, was led by lay personnel until the Salesian Sisters assumed its administration in 2006.